Recording Uttlesford History 

Essex Record Office - Accessions List 2007


 homepage uttlesford

As all historians know, Essex Record Office at Chelmsford is a rich mine of information, much of which can also be seen on microfilm at their Saffron Walden office. Every year the ERO issues a list of new acquisitions, but it is unlikely these would be microfilmed for a long time, and you would need to visit the ERO to see them. Here are some of the items recently added to Uttlesford village collections – for details take a look at the SEAX website on The Accessions updates can be obtained, free of charge, in an electronic format by emailing with ‘New Accessions’ in the subject box.

These lists are printed and published by: The Essex Record Office, Wharf Road, Chelmsford CM2 6YT Tel: 01245 24464

We are very grateful for ERO's permission to reproduce the following material


Archdeaconry of Colchester parish accounts and presentment forms for visitation of 2006 (inc Dunmow and Stansted, Saffron Walden, quinquennial inspection reports on various parish churches, 1997, 2000-2001 (A12177: D/AC addl.)

Dunmow Rural Deanery Rural Dean’s visitation notebook, 1874-1882 (A12074: D/E)

Parish Records

Little Bardfield ‘Reverence my Sanctuary: A History and Guide to the Parish Church of St. Katharine and the Brotherhood of Paul, Little Bardfield’, 2007 (A12237: D/P 348 addl.)

Great Canfield marriage register, 1987-1998, dedication deed, 1876, terrier, 1887, and form of prayer for victory over Sikhs, 1846 (A12060: D/P 235 addl.)

Chrishall marriage register, 1837-1991 (A12260: D/P 365 addl.)

Great Dunmow banns register, 1895-1916, preachers’ book, 1834-1860, service register (Philpott End Mission), 1933-1969, tithe composition book, 1829-1839, offertory account book, 1897-1905, Dunmow National Schools’ accounts, 1844-1853, Dunmow National and Adult Schools Committee minutes, 1857-1888, papers relating to Captain Ray’s Gift, c1879-1920, other papers, 1871-1949 (A12074: D/P 11 addl.)

Elmdon marriage register, 1837-1986 (A12259: D/P 13 addl.)

Great Sampford correspondence and papers relating to incumbency, church fabric and repairs, accounts, etc., 1920-1992, cash book, 1974-1983, (A12164: D/P 289 addl.); file of correspondence on faculties, tree preservation, organ, addition to churchyard and chancel repairs, c1967-1980 (A12250: D/P 289 addl.)

Little Sampford Little Sampford rectory plans and papers, 1897-1983, log book, c1993-2002, quinquennial inspection reports, 1974, 1987, 1992, 1997, correspondence and plans relating to extension to churchyard, 1996, faculties and associated papers, 1921, 1944, 1987-1994, 1997, papers relating to charities, 1874-1928, altered tithe apportionments, 1920, 1929, tithe redemption certificates, 1920, 1921, copies of statutory declaration and conveyance relating to parish room, 1988, photographs of church and previous rectors, other papers, 1900-2004 (A12241: D/P 122 addl.)

Public and Official Bodies

Great Dunmow Town Council minutes, 1997-1999 (A12282: D/J 88 addl.)

High Easter Parish Council minutes of Annual Parish Meetings, 1985-2000, and council meetings, 1878-1999 (A12070: D/J 135)

Takeley Parish Council minutes, 1894-2003 (A12207: D/J 103)

Business records

Jennings of Saffron Walden, auctioneers, estate agents, etc. sale catalogues, 1877-?1987, correspondence and papers relating to sales, valuations, lettings, etc., 1912-1962, photographs of properties as reproduced in advertisements for sale, c1970 (A12114: D/F 261 addl.)


Gace’s Charity, Newport correspondence relating to land and tenancies, 1873-1973, annual accounts, 1897-1973, with related correspondence and papers, 1886-1969, Bank pass books for Gace’s Charity, 1877-1936, and The Pond Common Fund, 1869-1909, cash books for Gace’s Charity, Pond Common Fund and Allotments, 1897-1928, correspondence with Charity Commissioners, 1883-1972, and relating to appointment of trustees, 1888-1974, applications for grants, etc., 1907, letter book, 1927-1945 (A12122: D/P 15/25 addl.)


Ashdon Newnham Hall, 1736-1878 (A12120: D/DU 1516 addl.); land in manors of Mortimers and Bendish Hall and Geboundes Croft, 1475-1618 (A12201; D/DU 2381)

Great ChesterfordCopperfields in Church Street, 1718-1948, property in Rose Lane, 1683-1908 (A12086: D/DU 2361)

Felsted property copyhold of manor of Felsted Bury, 1767-1838 (A12123: D/DU 2363)

Hatfield Broad Oak Gladwins, 1832-1868, Iron House and two cottages on Hatfield Heath, 1890-1928 (A12199: D/DU 1743 addl.)

Newport Rookes House otherwise Border Cottage, 1736-2006 (A12147: D/DU 2368)

Rickling premises at Rickling Church End, 1891, Apple Tree Cottage, 1958 (A12066: D/DU 2344)

Personal and Estate

Derek Bircher of High Easter diaries, 1949-2007, Bircher family history, Essex newscuttings, 1939-2005, photograph albums, sale catalogues, other records mainly relating to the history of High Easter, including a history in three volumes, c1750-2007 (A12096: D/DU 246 addl.); pedigree of Beard family of Good and High Easter, transcripts, photographs, photocopies, newscuttings and notes relating to High Easter and other parishes, alphabetical indices of ?1901 Census of Pleshey, and other papers, 1901-2007 (A12117: D/DU 246 addl.)

Kenneth J. Neale of Great Sampford research papers relating to the late Sir John Ruggles-Brise, Bt. and to Spains Hall, Finchingfield, 1970-2007 (A12258: D/DU 2086 addl.)

Russell family of Takeley and North Ockendon papers in Queen’s Bench case of Doe on demise of Anne Eliza Branfill, with draft marriage settlement of Heneage Harrison and Elizabeth Sarah Orr, 1846-1882 (A12127: D/DRu addl.)


Great Chesterford insurance policy relating to home, workshop and stock in trade of John Nash, carpenter, 1810 (A12188: D/DU 2377)

Essex windmills photographs, slides, articles and newspaper cuttings, 1964-1984 (A12093: D/DU 2357)

Sound recordings

Little Hallingbury oral history recording – Betty Rogers 2007 (Acc. SA457)

Manuden talk by Ray Carter 2005 (Acc. SA445)

Radwinter Society oral history project 2004-2006 (Acc. SA455)

Video Recordings

Manuden ‘Manuden in May’ video 2007 (Acc. SA449)